Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Week 10 - Starting over...

This last week, I was put on lead responsibilities on a second house.  This house is being funded by the Catholic Circle of Faith group which is comprised of four parishes in the Des Moines area working together to build a home for another deserving family.  I'm involved with the Habitat for Humanity ministry group at my parish, St. Francis of Assisi, that is taking part in this build.  And I'm very happy being able to serve on this build in a couple of different aspects.




We worked on getting the foundation capped, and even though you can't see them, building the supporting walls in the basement.  The volunteers with the Catholic Circle of Faith are very hard working that we were able to get a big jump on the caulking in the basement (phew!), cut the door/window openings out of the exterior walls, and sheeted the end trusses before they will be put up.  Hopefully, with some cooperation with the weather, you will see some big changes in next weeks photos.


Oh, and this house is going up next to the house that we built at the Des Moines Arts Festival a few weeks ago.  It is still in the finishing stages but it is on its foundation ready for the next steps in becoming a home for another deserving family.




You might be wondering about the women's build house I was working on???  I'm still working on that one too!  On our non-volunteer days, I'll be working on the Hammers & Heals house and then leading at the new Catholic Circle of Faith house when the volunteers are on site.


This past week, the women's build house was all about painting.  And thanks to some great Habitat staff members leading the volunteers last week, we were able to move in some of the flooring and cabinets in preparation for installation this week.


So, I'm starting the process all over again...framing, roofing, siding, etc.  And I couldn't be happier.  I'm loving this and can't believe that I'm over halfway done with my time at Habitat for Humanity this summer.  I'm trying my best not to think about it ending but know that it will be here before I know it.


On another note...my youngest niece turned 12 years old on Sunday.  And this aunt doesn't like seeing them grow up so quickly.  I wanted the birthday girl to sit on my lap, but she said she was too old...so, like any good auntie would do...I sat on hers.  I wish I would have gotten a picture of that!  Happy Birthday, Kiddo!!  Love you!!


Happy 12th Birthday!!

--------------------------------
Highlight of the week...
1.  Getting to lead the Catholic Circle of Faith house.
2.  Celebrating my niece's birthday with her.
--------------------------------

Scripture...
You are a refuge to the poor, a refuge to the needy in distress;
Shelter from the rain, shade from the heat. 
Isaiah 25:4

No comments:

Post a Comment