Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Oops...where did the time go?

Sorry y'all that it's been a while since I've updated you on the houses.  It's been very busy, very hot, very exhausting and sad to say that my last day is this Friday with Habitat for Humanity.  Very sad...


The time has flown by and I'm starting to get a little restless on heading back into the office.  Not sure how I'm going to handle sitting all day long again.  I'll just apologize now to my co-workers for bouncing off the walls.


I had my first house dedication on Aug. 20 with the Hammer's and Heel's home.  The house turned out great and the family was so happy to finally have it finished...as were we.  It took a lot longer than anticipated to finish due to rain, shortage of volunteers and other circumstances that we didn't see coming our way.  But it's now done, so we can check it off the list.  Yee-haw!!

  


The Catholic Circle of Faith build is coming along great.  Just when I think we fall behind, I get a great group of volunteers that help catch us back up.  The goal is to have it finished by the time I'm done on Friday.  However, there are some things that we just can't control so I guess you'll now know what I'll be doing on my Saturday's for a while.  ; )




And just in case you thought these houses were given away for nothing, you're wrong!  It's a common myth that Habitat for Humanity homes are free.  They aren't.  The families have to meet certain requirements (low income), put in 400 hours of sweat equity, and then purchase the home from Habitat for Humanity.  


So what else have I learned?


I've learned what it is like to work with a group of people that have a real passion for what they do.  A group of people who really understand the reasons for doing what they are doing.  When obstacles are thrown at them, they keep pushing forward.  When everything is going right, they know how to appreciate it and enjoy the ride, no matter how short the ride may be.


So, a special shout out to Yellow Team...thanks for a great ride!  I hope I didn't make your ride too bumpy.  And Blue Team...I hope to catch a ride with you real soon.


--------------------------------
Highlight of the past few weeks...
1.  Dedication day.  My first house is complete!
2.  Making the last push on house #2.
--------------------------------

Scripture...
"You are the light of the world.  A city built on a hill cannot be hid.  No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lamp stand, and it gives light to all in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven."   
Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment