Sunday, May 15, 2011

Only in Iowa...

Only in Iowa can you go from the mid-90's at the beginning of the week to the low-50's with the wind blowing hard enough that it feels like it's in the 30's.  That was my week.


I started the week in shorts and a tank top, applying sunscreen, and not being able to drink water fast enough while doing some landscaping.  We also had a day where it rained while we were moving rock.  Thankfully, the sun came out in the afternoon and dried us up.  We also started prepping the site for the next three houses that we are going to start this week.  One of those houses, I'll be co-leading the build.  


The house I'll be working on is the "Hammers & Heels" house, or better known as the women's build, where the house will be built only by women.  The construction team I'm on will be having a friendly competition by competing against the men's build, "Nails & Neckties".  I'll keep you posted on the progress.   


I ended the week back home helping Dad move cows and calves out to pasture.  I went from shorts to layers; coveralls, fleece pullover, sweatshirt, stocking cap, and a heavy Carhartt jacket.  Like I said, only in Iowa.  My "little" brother came home too, so the three of us had a great time working together as usual.  I don't get back home very often to help out but Dad called and I was there. 


I love being back home at the farm where I grew up and love working around the cattle, even in the cold.  We got everything done that Dad was hoping to finish and more.  We had some great laughs (fainting goats) and a few "oops" (sorry, Dad, for the couple of zaps, oops!)


The one thing that is always a must when I go home to help out is chocolate cake and I wasn't disappointed.  I eat so horribly when I go home, but if you can't enjoy yourself every now and then, what's the point???


All-in-all, it was a great week.  I'm really looking forward to the kick-off of the women's build this week.  Sorry, I don't have any photos this week, but I will have something the next time for you. 


------------------------------
Highlight of the week:
Getting the word that I'll be co-leading the women's build.    
------------------------------


Scripture...
The hardworking farmer ought to have the first share of the crop.  Reflect on what I'm saying, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.
2 Timothy 2:6-7




No comments:

Post a Comment