Monday, May 9, 2011

Week 1 - Wowza!

What a week.  It was the first week of my volunteer leave and Habitat for Humanity kicked it off with a blitz build...six days straight of construction work.  It was AWESOME!


I was awarded a four month volunteer leave from my employer to work for Habitat for Humanity in Des Moines.  I will be working on the construction side of Habitat for Humanity building homes this summer for some very hard-working and deserving families looking for a place to call home.


I started on Monday, May 2 with a blitz build where we had three homes going up at the same time.  In the six-days that the blitz takes place the goal is to frame, roof, and side a house.  So, with my hard hat, safety glasses, tool belt, and work boots in tow, I reported in and the fun began.


Setting trusses...don't look down!
We started with nothing but a foundation and a floor...and after day one, we ended with the walls being stood and the sheeting was started.  I love the framing process of building a house.  I don't know if it is the hammering or getting to put a giant puzzle together that I like best but this part of the build is probably my favorite...so far.  I may change my mind after the summer.




On day two, the sheeting was finished up and the blue foam was following right behind.  We also had the trusses lifted up on top of the house to get ready to set.  I like being on top of the house setting the trusses.


First time operating the skid loader.
Day two also was a big day in that I learned how to drive a skid loader.  Not the greatest picture, but that is me in the cab buttoning down some equipment before leaving for the night.


Day 3 was setting the trusses day...good thing we had a jump on them before the wind picked up.  But the job was done by the end of the day and we were on to day 4 with installing the windows, doors, sheeting the roof and finishing up the blue foam.


Day 5 we started shingling and put the ladders on the north side of the house.  And by day 6 we were working on getting the dormers put on the roof and prepping for siding.  


The week was wonderful, but my 15 years of sitting at a desk definitely took its toll on me this first week.  Don't get me wrong, it was fun being out there, but my dogs are barking and the fresh air is making me sleep like I haven't slept in years.  I LOVE IT!


--------------------------
The highlight of the week:
The future homeowner of this house we were building asked me to show him where the kitchen was going to be after we had all the walls stood.  I grabbed the blue prints and walked him through the entire layout of the house.  The smile on his face was priceless and one I'll never forget.  Now you all know why I love volunteering for this organization. 
--------------------------


Scripture...
Be sincere of heart and steadfast, undisturbed in time of adversity. Cling to him, forsake him not; thus will your future be great.
Sirach 2:2-4



Day 1
Day 2
Day 4
Day 3

Day 5
Day 6

No comments:

Post a Comment