Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Week 4 - Beating the rain...

It seemed the goal was to beat the rain that was predicted for a good chunk of the week. Tuesday, we were lucky to have a pretty good day to get a roof sheeted.  Well, almost…we had two pieces left to put on before we caught sight of some close lightning and decided that the roof wasn’t the safest place to be. And then the rain came.

Knowing there was a good chance for rain on Wednesday, the team split up and worked on other projects where we could be inside.  I ended up working on a rehab house not too far from our women's build.  I helped paint the original register covers and caulked some windows in a beautiful 100 year old home.  It has some beautiful wood work and I can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks after the floors are finished.  

Thursday and Friday, I was back at the women’s build working with the volunteers.  On Thursday, we were in the mud...ugh...trying to get the shingling started.  And started we did.  The volunteers were great and by the time we headed home, we had shingles going up on both sides of the roof.  The ground even started drying up and the ruts were getting packed down.

On Friday, the shingling continued.  Once again, we were trying to beat the rain.  Thankfully, the rain held just enough that we were able to get the roof finished before the holiday weekend.  We had to stay a little later than usual to get it done, but it was worth it.    


The roof is shingled.

After working Habitat, I headed to Iowa City to visit some great friends of mine.  And once again, I was trying to beat the rain as I drove.  I went for a run Sunday morning before church.  It was a little foggy but nothing to worry about.  On my second lap around the neighborhood, I noticed a couple of sprinkles.  Again, no worries.  I love running in the rain and the temp was perfect so I kept going.  By the time I got back, the sprinkles were a little more steady and I was hearing some thunder.  

Well, I timed that run just right.  The minute I got out of the shower, I could hear the emergency alert system announcement on the TV from downstairs for a severe thunderstorm warning.  The wind was blowing like crazy and it was down pouring.  Beat it again.  Thankfully, Monday turned out to be a beautiful day.


--------------------------------
Highlight of the week...
Beating the rain and finishing the roof.
--------------------------------

Scripture...
"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good..."
John 14:1

No comments:

Post a Comment