Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 8 - Whooped! - Part 1

Wow!  What a week...it was great, but I'm whooped!  If you remember from my last post, my week started (Monday) with a drive back from Colorado.  And then it was right back to work at Habitat for Humanity.


This was the week of the Des Moines Arts Festival and Habitat for Humanity built a house in the middle of the street on one of the corners of the festival.  I said I was going to get lots of pictures for you but...I failed again.  However, I'm hoping I can snag some photos from a couple of the Habitat team members to post here on the site later on.  But before I get to the arts festival build...we had some work to do on the house I've been working on the past five weeks.  


It was insulation inspection time and our yellow team was joined by the blue team to help get us ready.  And I have to say...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!  Without their help on Wednesday, we never would have been ready and neither of the two houses that had inspections would have passed.  Blue team...YOU ROCK!  They helped us finish caulking, install insulation, and made sure we had everything covered to pass the inspection.  As we were scrambling to finish both the women's and men's house builds for inspection on Wednesday, we get a call that the inspections had been rescheduled for Thursday morning.  Ugh!  We couldn't believe it, but then we all decided it was probably the best thing that could have happened because it allowed us to get everything done.


So, with insulation inspections completed, it is on to drywall.  Thankfully, we have this process completed by professionals and they were going to come in and complete that task while we worked at the arts festival on Friday.  BUT WAIT!!!  I was an idiot and forgot to get the cabinet bracing in.  The bracing has to be done before the sheet rock goes up so guess where I was at the next morning???  Thursday was to be an all day prep day for the arts festival, but my day started at 6:15 a.m. with cabinet bracing.  Thanks to the help of a couple of other Habitat team members, the cabinet bracing was completed and we were heading downtown to help with the set up for the arts festival build by mid-morning.


On Thursday, we basically got everything moved downtown that we would need for the arts festival build; tools, hardware, building materials, power set up, scaffolding, etc.  While some of the crew was working on transferring building materials to the site, the rest of us set the deck for the house and prepped it for the wall raising to kick off the build on Friday at noon.  So, with everything delivered, and the site set up complete, we called it a night.  I pulled into my driveway at 6:15 p.m. and I was beat.


--------------------------------
Highlight of the week...part 1
Passing the insulation inspection.
--------------------------------

Scripture...
"They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar as with eagle wings.  They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint". 
Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment