Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Week 6 - Really???

I can't believe I've already completed six weeks of my volunteer leave.  The time is flying fast and I'm having a great time...as long as the weather cooperates.  I feel like the weather is going to be a hot topic with this blog, but it probably should be since I'm out in it EVERYDAY.  Love it!!!


This week we had hail, rain, more hail and more rain, and then of course, the mud.  If y'all need a great workout, find a mud pit and walk around in it all day long.  It's a killer on your legs.  And I wonder why I have a hard time running in the mornings???


The rain and mud is definitely slowing the progress down on the house, but we are trudging through and doing what we can without losing a shoe or falling down.  I don't have photos this week, but will get some taken when the weather is a little better and the sun is actually shining. We tackled siding again this week when it wasn't raining and we caulked in the basement after we got the water swept over to the sump pump.  We are waiting to get the basement windows put in and until then, we will keep sweeping even though it comes right back in with each rain.


Thanks to all the volunteers this past week for working through the mud and rain.


This coming weekend, I'm traveling to Colorado for my goddaughter's baby dedication.  It will be a very short trip...drive out Saturday, dedication on Sunday, and drive back Monday.  Even though it is a short trip, I can't wait to see my friends and be a part of this special occasion.


So, I want to put a plug out there to anyone that will be in the Des Moines area June 24-26 for the Des Moines Arts Festival.  Habitat for Humanity will be framing, roofing and siding a house at the Arts Festival.  We'll be working on the house Friday afternoon/evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning.  The house will then be moved at midnight to one of our sites to get set on the foundation.  If all stays on schedule, I'll be working the Friday evening and Saturday morning shifts.  Please stop by and say "hi!"


--------------------------------
Highlight of the week...
Helping one of the partner families learn how to cut siding.  And not falling down in the mud.
--------------------------------

Scripture...
"Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment